Beau's Favorite Smoothie
Raise your hand if you have a picky eater... I'll raise both of mine because I have TWO!
Luckily, my little guy (Beau) is a smoothie lover. After sharing his love for them on Instagram, some of you asked if we have a favorite recipe. Before I had kids, I would've found that to be pretty funny... aren't smoothies just a bunch of random fruit tossed in a blender?!
For those of you who may be as blind to this as I once was -- smoothies aren't the easiest thing to make.
Several factors come into play when it comes to making a smoothie that actually tastes good (especially for a picky eater). I know with my kiddos, any combination of the wrong flavors, textures, or ingredients lead to a bunch of wasted groceries. So, through a ton of trial-and-error, we've found that this one works for us and has quickly become "Beau's Favorite Smoothie".
- 2 Frozen bananas
- 1/2 a bag of frozen strawberries
- 1/2 a bag of frozen blueberries
- A hefty spoon-full of peanut butter
- Almond milk
- I pretty much eyeball the milk (we're dairy free in the Siron house), but liquid is important. Start with a cup and add more if your smoothie looks too thick. You can also add a little water, but don't leave out the almond milk. It gives the smoothie a creaminess that we love!
- When bananas or other fruits start to go bad, just chop them into pieces, toss them in a freezer bag, and toss 'em in the freezer for smoothies.
- I often buy my frozen fruit from dollar tree- yes, you read that correctly. So when I say "a bag," I'm talking about their normal, 12 oz bag... can't beat it for $1.00!
Toss it all in your blender and blend until it's a smooth and creamy consistency! That's it. Really. Easy, right?!
Frozen fruit is the key to success. If you're ever looking to sneak some veggies in the mix, I think it's best to steam them first then refreeze before throwing them in your smoothies.
I hope you guys enjoy Beau's Favorite Smoothie as much as Beau does! Let me know if you give it a try, and be sure to share some of your favorites as well.